Turn up, make a tea get started. Everyone knows their job, right? Wrong! Here we provide 5 reasons why a daily briefing is the best start to a day your team can have.
1) Set targets for the day – The number 1 reason to conduct a daily briefing is to set targets for the day. These may be figures that each member of staff is expected to achieve or simply time relevant tasks that will need doing that day. Either way it is important to let the staff know what is expected of them.
2) Review yesterday’s figures – Okay, so figures can be a little boring. But it is necessary to let everyone know how the team are doing versus target and what areas really need focusing on. The key to figures for the staff is to find a way to break down the figures for each individual staff member. There is normally a way in any half-way decent information system to let the staff know their personal contribution for the month and it will invoke a little competition if done publicly…
3) Take positives from the previous day – Don’t let your management style become so obsessed with figures that you forget the people who work for you. If you catch members of your team doing something right then let them know about it publicly. It will let them know you appreciate their efforts.
4) Air concerns – Daily briefings are an excellent opportunity to let the staff air their concerns in an environment where they will not be judged. Encourage them to use this time to get things off their chest and let them know that they are free to say what they want without fear of reprisals. If the team genuinely buy into this they will see you as approachable and easy to communicate with.
5) Have a laugh – Work was never meant to make us feel like we didn’t want to get up in the morning. It should be fun and you should be aiming to begin the day with a laugh. It will help to create a positive atmosphere for yourself and the team and, let’s be honest, what a great way to start the day.
Daily briefings are a vital addition to any manger’s repertoire. Use that time to review figures, show the staff that you appreciate them and set the tone for the day by having a laugh!
Related Posts4 Modern Management Styles – Which one are you?
5 Essential Management Skills
5 Things Successful Managers Do
Catch Them Doing Something Right
The 10 Cs Of Management
The 5 Functions Of Management
The Art of Negotiation For Managers
The Theory Of Remote Management
5 Ways To Be More Organized
Are You A TIGR Or A Pussy-cat?
How to use a WHAT-WHERE-WHEN
Understanding Subordinate Imposed Time